I did see Dr. McLaughlin on Monday. Mom and John came along. He explained my options and the pros and cons of each. For those two remaining lymph nodes in my abdomen, I have four choices -
1. Do nothing. It could be dying tissue and in a matter of time it will go away. Or, it could still be active cancer and begin growing again without treatment. No way to know for sure.
2. Surgery. This isn't really an option since the lymph nodes are right next to my aorta and he explained that the blood pressure in the aorta is the same as a fire hydrant. In order to remove the nodes, they would have to take out a margin around them. That margin would include my aorta - no thank you!
3. More chemo. This will be a sure way to treat the nodes, but it will also affect my whole body meaning more feeling crappy. He also said your body can get too much chemo and the tumor can desensitize to it.
4. Cyberknife. This would zap the cancer in the nodes and prevent the possibility of it regrowing there. But it is radiation and could have side effects like ulceration of the intestines. Also, I would need an outpatient procedure to have tiny seeds made out of gold implanted in the nodes. These would be the target points for the radiation, like the tattoos were the first time. The treatments could last up to 2 hours each day for 3-5 days. I would need a driver each time to take me all the way to Kennestone in Marietta.
So, right now I am waiting for my CA125 results which I had drawn yesterday. My last one was 31. If my level is going down, then I might just wait it out and do nothing. If it's not a significant decrease, I might decide to do the Cyberknife. As much as I am ready to be done with all this, I don't want to give the cancer a chance to start growing again. And I DO NOT WANT MORE CHEMO!!!
For now, I am feeling thankful that I get to enjoy the holiday without nausea or ickiness. I hope everyone has a wonderful THANKSGIVING!