Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Update on Melinda

Hello All!,

Melinda has had a challenging time over the last few weeks and we understand many of you are concerned. So I, John, will update you as best I can on what has been going on.

In previous posts Melinda has let you know of the new chemo regimine and radiation that she was to receive. She began her chemo and radiation treatments the first week of January. All seemed to be going well until shortly after chemo. The side effects of chemo resulted in a trip to the ER. She was made comfortable then sent home with a pain and nausea management plan. Unfortunately, after a few days of coming back home we had to rush her back to the ER as the side effects and pain worsened.

They discovered that her blood counts were extremely low so she was admitted to ICU. She's received several units of blood and platelets to help stablize the situation. She has now been moved out of ICU to a standard room and appears to be stable. She will receive two more units of blood today, and will be able to return home once her counts are back up and she is able to tolerate pain with oral medication. The good news is that she is feeling much better and is looking forward to returning home.... possibly tomorrow.

Melinda and I would also like to reassure everyone that our spirits and overall outlook are extremely positive. The professional care and plan going forward are promising to us and we look forward to conquering this disease.

We would also like to share some of the wonderful things we have experienced recently as well! Rachel Rose continues to do well in school and is having great fun with her Martial Arts. She is a joy every day and helps to keep a smile on our faces continually. Caroline is excelling in school and enjoying her dance. Most notably, she just WON her school's "Spelling Bee". We are very proud of her... not only for her win, but how she conducted herself afterward. Once she knew she had won, she immediately turned to the runner-up and gave him a "thumbs up" and reassured him that he had a lot to be proud of since he was just a fourth grader.

So, we will continue with the battle and know that good things are ahead. We cannot thank all of our Friends and Family enough for all the support and prayers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am still praying for your whole family. I know the struggles as I have seen cancer in my own family.(my mom).I know Melinda is an inspiration to so many. It does break my heart what you all have been through. God never gives us more than we can bare. Sometimes we do wonder how much. Tell Melinda to keep"fighting like a girl". I am not good with words but you all have been heavily on my heart. Renee Champion (Dacula, Ga)

Anonymous said...

You all are an inspiration

Anonymous said...

Hi John and Melinda,
Thank you so much for posting. I check your blog fairly regularly so I can update and pray for your family. I saw the girls on FB this morning and enjoyed the talent show clips. You all have a beautiful family. I can't even imagine all that you have going on but pray for peace and healing from the Great Physician for Melinda and you all. I am so glad you all are staying positive about the treatment plan. I am reminded of a verse James 1:12..."blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.". Thank you for your example and I'll keep praying for each of you. Wendy Wollenhaupt Ashburn (Greenville, SC)

Anonymous said...

Dearest Melinda and John,
Your Cullasaja team is fighting right along side you and your family. We are all praying for you, your doctors and all the care you are receiving. Our hope is that God will grant you His grace and healing. Your strength and tenacity against this cancer are an inspiration to us all.

Anonymous said...

John-please know that I am praying for you and your family. Shannon Haygood sent me this blog and I hope that is alright with you. Thinking of you! Mrs. Hewitt